- According to the United Nations Environment Programme, only about 20 percent of the world’s population has access to clean water.
- More people die from unsafe water than from all forms of violence, including war.
- During the last century alone, the world lost more than 80 percent of its original forests, which provide a source of livelihood, protection from natural disasters and absorb carbon dioxide emissions that
leadto global warming.
Lions have an opportunity to shine a light on the environment and show the strength of our worldwide network during a special service action campaign, “Protecting our Environment.”
During April, we invite your club to join Lions around the world to protect the environment. Help us raise awareness of the importance of protecting the environment in connection with Earth Day. Or, organize hands-on projects throughout the month that mobilize your club members to improve your community’s environment.
Use the following resources to plan and promote your “Protecting our Environment” Global Service Action Campaign project.
- Call to Action Flyer: Get an overview of the “Protecting our Environment” Global Service Action Campaign – and ideas to jumpstart your project.
- Planning Guide: Use this step-by-step approach to organize your very own “Protecting our Environment” project.
- Project Ideas: Review ideas you and your club can use to participate in the campaign. The opportunities are endless.
- Press Release: Send a press release to local media to help publicize your “Protecting our Environment” project.
For More Information
To learn how your club can participat